Safety Regulations

Gas Safety Regulations
These regulations, originally set in 1994, place a duty on landlords to maintain all gas appliances in their properties by means of an annual inspection. This should be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered inspector and a certificate of compliance issued. We can arrange for this to be carried out on your behalf on an annual basis with a copy of the certification being sent to you for your personal records. A copy must also be kept, and displayed at the property.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
Since October 2008 it has been mandatory that all rented properties have an EPC detailing the energy efficiency and carbon emissions of the building. An EPC has a ten year “life”. We can arrange for an EPC for you, just let us know.

Electrical Safety Regulations
There is, currently, no specific legislation that enforces a regular test of a property's electrics. You do, however, need to provide Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) for any portable electrical equipment between 50 and 1000 volts, which is most things, and this has to be carried out before a tenant takes occupation. A landlord also has a duty of care to ensure that all wiring is safe and fit for purpose. We would strongly recommend that you have an electrical test carried out by a registered NCEIC electrical every five years.

Fire Safety Regulations
If you are letting your property furnished it must comply with the Furnishing Regulations Act of 1988, failure to adhere to which could land you in prison. Any furniture manufactured before the 1st January 1950 is exempt, and anything bought from a reputable supplier after the 1st March 1990 should comply. We can provide a detailed list of items covered by this act if you ask.

Smoke alarms
It's a requirement that any building completed after June 1992 has smoke detectors installed, together with mains operated alarms. We strongly recommend properly positioned smoke alarms in all your properties.